Tuesday, July 13, 2010

July update

Well, it's been a fast moving summer for me. The month of June just flew by...and July is doing the same.

Here is a picture taken at Swings and Things in North Omstead, Ohio. David took me and all 5 grandchildren out for a day of bumper boats, go carts and miniature golf.

Thank goodness for my scooter. I tooled around the park for hours (no rides for me).

Here are the future golfers of tomorrow.


Hard to see but they're all on the track racing and bumping. The day was beautiful and there weren't too many in the park. The kids would run off the track and get back on.

I'm enjoying all the time I get with them. We joined a summer bowling program. They get two games a day for free at Roseland Lanes in Twinsburg, Ohio. The only money spent was a summer pass for shoe rental.  It's a great way to expend some of the energy they build up and I love to see them improve each week.

I am getting around a lot better this year since my weight loss. I'm still watching and  keeping it off. The up and down with the kids is giving me needed exercise.

On the weekends I travel to my friend Linda's house in Akron. Her mom is here from Arizona and we have a lot of fun together. It's a break for me and the kids too.

The kids taught me the game "Apples to Apples" and I taught them how to play what we used to call Michigan Rummy when I was a kid.

Oh that reminds me....look at this picture I took of the house I grew up in.

I lived in this house in Maple Heights, Ohio until 1959 when the family moved to Northfield, Ohio.

We had 5 children, mom,dad and my Russian Grandmother (Bobka) living in this little itty bitty house. There were two bedrooms downstairs and just a large space in the attic.  Four of us kids slept up there and my brother John slept in one of the downstairs rooms with Bobka.  

I have good memories of baking with Bobka and coming home from school to the smell of freshly baked bread and home made apple butter. Too bad I didn't get the gene for cooking or baking or canning.

My brother Denny and I crept into the cellar to eat the wax off of Bobkas home made strawberry jam. I remember the consequences of that action and we never did THAT again.

Sherry and I used to go to bed planning to wake up in the middle of the night and raid the refrigerator. We didn't wake up often, but one night we each took swigs out of the Vodka bottle that was kept in the refrigerator. I don't think we got caught because we would have been beaten, but the taste kept us from doing that again.

Oh the stories I could tell......



I LOVE BEING GRANDMA LICORICE

0 comments: