Saturday, May 24, 2008

More from Washington DC

The WW II Memorial and Washington Monument

This trip I got to go to the WW II memorial twice. Once with David and Dale during the day, and once with Brian, Mason, Alexa, Chase and Dale at night.

The night visit worked out great because we got a wheelchair and the boys pushed me over to the Washington Monument. I haven't been there since Dale was 4. My girlfriend Shirley, her two daughters and my three sons went to DC for a vacation back in 1977. While standing in line to go up in the monument, Dale took a fall and cracked his skull on the granite floor inside the monument. Needless to say, we didn't get to go up to the top. However, who's to say that the fall didn't knock something into Dale that brought him back to DC some 30 years later. Nah...I don't believe in that mumbo jumbo... do you??

Dale at the Pacific side of the monument.

The Ohio Monument with a good shot of an OHIO STATE shirt and Dale of course.

David and Dale at the fountain.




A view of the Washington Monument from the WWII Memorial.

These are pictures of the Air Force Memorial. I've seen it from a distance, but Dale, David and I got up close and personal this trip.


I love this picture with Dale, me and David caught in the reflection of the polished granite. Notice the three spires from the monument in the background. It's a really cool picture don't you think???? When did I get so short??

I got David and Dale along with these beautiful statues of an honor guard.

This is a beautiful tribute to the Air Force and I'm so glad we took the time to visit it. I especially love this picture because David was in the Air Force during Operation Desert Storm and Dale is presently a Major and a Jag.


This was shot from the bottom of one of the spires...it looks like it goes on forever... I think David took this one...

The memorial was made to look like contrails which are the condensation trail emitted by jet aircraft exhaust. Contrails form when hot humid air from jet exhaust mixes with environmental air of low vapor pressure and low temperature.

Can you believe that it rained all week...until David came up? Then on Sunday, the storm clouds parted to display the most beautiful blue sky you've ever seen.


Here is a great picture of Jenn with the dome of the Capitol in the background. Dale took this one...





Just look at that sky!!!!


Jefferson Memorial


The Pentagon...a memorial is still under construction.



The Supreme Court...OK, I altered the blue in this one...but only this one



The White House...the president wasn't at home






The Iwo Jima Memorial

2 comments:

Taylor said...

Here's a pic. from when my mom (in the photo) and I went through in Oct. 2005.
It is a pretty place. Too crowded for me, though. :)
Glad you had a good time!

http://i29.tinypic.com/2ic1lpv.jpg

Sandy Coleman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.